The working group created by the Latvian Prison Administration has completed work on a mentor training programme.
During the development of the training program, the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for mentors were clarified, which in future would help to manage qualification traineeship successfully and efficiently for the students of the Latvian Prison Administration Training Centre.
The following topics were included in the curriculum:
- Introduction to the curriculum.
- Qualification traineeship – a tool for effective acquisition of the educational program and development of professional skills.
- Feedback and its application.
- Mentor and student preparation for the first and subsequent meetings.
- Trust building and strengthening.
- Motivation. Self-motivation. Support. Cooperation.
- Strategy for achieving goals and objectives in the process of qualification traineeship.
- Evaluation. Critical thinking. Decision-making.
The programme was created by specialists from the Latvian Prison Administration in collaboration with project partners from the University College of Norwegian Correctional Service and Romerike Prison.
The mentor training programme was developed in accordance with the recommendations developed by the Ministry of Education and Science within the project “National Coordinators for the Implementation of the European Agenda for Adult Learning”. The program was given a name – adult non-formal education program “Qualification traineeship manager for the students of the Training Centre”.
Working together for a safe and inclusive Europe.
The Latvian Prison Administration project "Establishment of Training centre infrastructure and model prison blocks for training opportunities in the Olaine prison territory" No. 1-6.4/2-2019 is implemented within the framework of the Norway Grants 2014-2021 period programme "Correctional Services".